Bowel control problems are extremely common, but they are not normal. If you suffer from bowel control issues, you know how much they can interrupt your life. It’s time to speak up and get back to living your life.
Do the following sound familiar?
- Frequent bowel accidents
- Monitoring what and how much you eat
- Using pads or protective garments
- Planning activities around the bathroom
Fecal Incontinence Facts
- 1 in 12 adults in the US has fecal incontinence.
- 20 million adults in the US are affected fecal incontinence.
Medtronic Bowel Control Therapy Delivered by the InterStim™ system
Evidence suggests that breakdowns in the bowel-brain communication pathway may be a root cause of chronic fecal incontinence (FI).1 That’s why conventional treatments may not produce the results you want — they don’t directly target this miscommunication.
Unlike conventional treatments, the Medtronic InterStim™ systems gently stimulate the sacral nerves in your pelvic area that control your bowel. This may help restore* bowel-brain communication and reduce your symptoms.
Is InterStim™ Right for You?
You may be a good candidate for Medtronic Bowel Control Therapy delivered by the InterStim™ systems if:
- You have significant chronic fecal incontinence symptoms
- You’ve tried lifestyle changes and oral medications
- These therapies haven’t given you the relief you want
See if it works for you
Unlike other bowel control treatments, this therapy lets you try it first with an evaluation — like a test run, not a long-term commitment.
- Starts with a short, in-office procedure
- Go about most of your regular activities for 3-14 days
- Track your symptoms to see if they improve
- Talk with your doctor about your results and find out if it’s likely to help you
Complications can occur with the evaluation, including movement of the wire, technical problems with the device, and some temporary pain. Your doctor or nurse will show you how to use the system and inform you of any activity restrictions and other precautions related to the test.